Michael A. Baker, P.E., M.S.E.M.
Phone: 610-640-9600 x20
Mr. Baker is an experienced energy, engineering and technology manager with executive and operations experiences. This has included major capital and energy cost project/program and management success. He has managed engineering design, project development and execution budgets through the $110MM level involving utility, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, HVAC and economic development initiatives. As a veteran multi-corporate manager and organizational leader with a diverse and entrepreneurial leadership background in energy efficiency, customer relationship management and owners representative/construction monitoring experience, Mr. Baker has successfully shaped and managed utility and corporate energy programs involving both electric and natural gas. This has included addressing operating strategies, renewable energy, energy conservation equipment performance improvement capacity and incorporating regulatory energy policy. He has worked with state and local utility leaders, industrial and governmental entities, shaping public policy matters at the highest state and federal levels. Mr. Baker has successfully led collaborative activities among diverse corporate firms both as the leader of a small consulting firm and as a leader of major, larger, multi-corporate alliances. His energy and management consulting services have included per-formance improvement strategies across the business community of commercial, industrial, institutional clients. These accomplishments have included strategic
energy purchasing and material procurement planning, energy utilization planning, selection and oversight of professional services and contractors and risk minimizing life minimization in long life cycle contract negotiations.
Consultant - Energy & Management (Feb 2013 – Current)
Leads energy marketing, efficiency, energy utilization, demand management and facility infrastructure redevelopment consulting efforts. Provides design, design review and owner’s representative services. Client operations management services also included providing deregulated energy supply sales and marketing and project and technical and operational management consulting services. Provides energy policy and program consulting thought leadership to utility and corporate executive teams of the American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE) as leader of its’ Energy Efficiency Working Group and federal legislative branch policy analysis.
Mr. Baker has provided project management leadership in developing infrastructure projects, as well as energy business development opportunities involving operational and facilities performance improvement. Shaped company proposal response to regional utility infrastructure undergrounding program and helped shape responsibilities of multi-corporate team members. Conceptualized and initiated strategic energy business development and outreach to federal, local, extended governmental and community organizations. Developed business opportunities with diverse and energy industry, business and engineering entities. Established energy business project gateways to the US DOD and heavy industry energy community.
Sr. Project Manager – UGI Performance Solutions – Colmar, PA Provided technical leadership and project management direction for renewable and sustainable energy sales and project development. Infused process improvement and staff development into new departmental growth into PV Solar and CHP projects. Developed project work scopes, performed conceptual design review, pre-qualified sub-contractors and monitored budget variances subsequent to project awards. Evaluated regional policy impacts on the viability of renewable and sustainable technology applications. Managed multi-organizational project teams in achieving on time/on budget project performance. Provided critical utility industry knowledge support base for sales professionals.
- Led scope and schedule development and supported contract negotiations for 800 kW CHP data center project coordinating actions of venture partners and suppliers.
- Led engineering contractor selection and execution oversight in the installation of PV Solar systems.
Principal - Energy Services – Fusion Engineering LLC – Philadelphia, PA
Led energy business sector development and alliance building. Shaped company execution strategy expanding engineering practices to include best practices in flexible energy project development and execution to expand customer base and project mix to include energy and cost effectiveness into existing mix. Developed criteria for the selection of sub-contractors and the specification of owner’s representative services.
- Led technology assessment for governmental client targeting energy cost containment strategy including renewable energy and electrical demand reduction.
- Conducted energy audit and utility cost performance assessment of multi-facility educational complex.
- Developed strategy for energy efficiency campaign for pharmaceutical client customer base.
Large Capital Program Manager-Clean Fuels Group, Sunoco - Philadelphia, PA Built an operational practices bridge among capital engineering, operations and maintenance, legal and accounts payable organizations for an organization in business transition. Utilized professional management skills, collaborative behaviors and SMAART goal setting techniques enabling positioning a small dynamic group to reduce organizational costs and accelerate performance improvements in an aging infrastructure. Led the development of project and program execution strategies including multiple internal organizations. Shaped internal best practices and implemented continuous process improvement strategies as a part of internal collaboration in budgeting and program management. Shaped project work scopes including all FEL phases particularly addressing HAZOP, and an assortment of Risk Mitigation and revisions to historical execution strategies. Managed a leveraged staff of technical and production experts in facility operations, maintenance, safety and environmental compliance practices. Initiated practices which effectively reshaped organizational results through improved contracting strategies and work force interaction among construction teams.
- Developed criteria, selected and managed contract engineering and construction firms involved in systems re-design through start-up and commissioning of major energy and infrastructure projects.
- Managed strategic planning and development of environmental compliance project achieving federal environmental compliance through consolidation of production and distribution operations of multiple facilities and reducing energy use and operating expenses.
- Conceptualized and managed inter-departmental project work team and equipment acquisition resulting in a capital utilization/ project execution strategy which reduced 5 year capital costs by 18% versus budget
Principal - Baker Engineering & Management Services - (BEMS) Philadelphia, PA Founded and managed all aspects of focused consulting organization providing technical and management services consulting throughout the Philadelphia region. Managerial consulting included identifying and leading the implementation of best practices and process improvement opportunities. Provided technical and economic performance analyses including NPV and IRR based project justifications, proposal development, design review for code compliance and construction/execution oversight. Assured utility company demand management rate structure/tariff program compliance advancing energy technologies. Advocated and reviewed new and retrofit MEP and HVAC design and operational improvements. Provided technology assessment and developed strategic company programming addressing lighting, cogeneration (CHP), weatherization, construction code compliance, and time of use operating strategies. Led all phases of design and construction activities for industrial, commercial, governmental and institutional projects ranging from fundamental restoration and renovation to multimillion dollar new construction. Evaluated staffing development strategies necessary to completely utilize advanced technologies.
- Provided industrial energy audits and facility systems redesign strategies for Fortune 500 organizations seeking to reduce energy cost impact without compromising and/or disrupting facility operations.
- Provided Owner’s Representative and technology assessment services for multi-million dollar conversion of historic broadcast site to a geothermal energy fueled commercial office and conference center.
- Managed design review and Construction Code Compliance enforcement for suburban Philadelphia township assuring compliance with national and local codes applicable to new and renovation projects including a 10-building, $12MM residential and recreational complex.
- Managed multi-corporate Architect-Engineer and project management organization providing specialty engineering and architectural services for commercial, industrial, non-profit and governmental clients
- ?Served as Adjunct Professor at Drexel University teaching Project Management and Operations and Production Management.
peco energy company, Philadelphia, PA (1984-1995)
Managed development and tracking $250MM departmental budget & providing alternative execution strategies.
Project Management – Non-Nuclear Central Engineering (1991-1993)
Selected, trained and managed project management organization staff and $60 MM budget non-nuclear project/program budget for technical services, project execution and construction of diverse energy generation projects. Co-Authored Corporate Project Management Performance and Practices Guidelines.
Major Account Manager – Sales and Marketing (1988-1991)
Led business development activities involving energy intense sector of company’s top 20% of the corporate revenue base. Received industry wide national recognition from (EEI) for the ideation and implementation of end user energy demand management strategies.
Alternative Energy Services - Applications Engineer (1984 -1988)
Developed strategies to support implementation of technically and economically feasible energy technologies – CHP, Solar, Wind, MSW-technologies. Developed utility company positions and led technology and economically based responses to regulatory challenges. Led negotiations of major utility energy purchase agreements incorporating risk mitigation strategies.
- Drexel University, M.S., Engineering Management, Technology Assessment
- Brown University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering - Energy Systems
- University of Pennsylvania, Small Business Management Certificate
- Registered Professional Engineer- PA, NJ
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) - Member
- National Society of Professional Engineers - Member
- American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE) - Energy Efficiency Working Group Leader - Member
- Adjunct Professor – Project Management, Drexel University, Philadelphia. PA (1997-2005)