Julian M. Toneatto, Ph.D., P.E., P.P.
Consulting Civil and Structural Engineer
Phone: 610.640.9600, x20
Dr. Toneatto has over 40 years of engineering experience on both domestic and international projects in the areas of project/construction management, consulting engineering, design, contract administration and construction claims analysis and resolution. Dr. Toneatto has provided expert testimony in mediation, arbitration, and various courts on issues of engineering and construction. He has been the lead engineer for security/threat/vulnerability analyses and design for a major utility and several port and transportation facilities on the East Coast.
His professional experience includes the design of structures, environmental engineering remediation and civil works. Dr. Toneatto developed his expertise through education and practice in the areas of structural, environmental and civil engineering.
Dr. Toneatto is a recognized expert in engineering standards and codes including BOCA, ANSI, ASTM and EPA regulations. Dr. Toneatto has taught civil and structural engineering courses at the United States Military Academy. He presents seminars and courses to industry interest groups and has been a speaker at national and international conferences.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1967-81
- EXXON Production Research Company, 1981-86
- Woodward-Clyde Consultants, 1986-87
- Pilko & Associates, Inc. 1988-90
- ADLER ASSOCIATES, INC., 1990-Present
President, Engineering/Environmental Firm: Complete company Profit & Loss (P&L) responsibility for all operations of the firms specializing in Engineering, Environmental, Real Estate, Land Use, Health & Safety and Security consulting.
- Personally set up all functions for a new operation.
President, Security Consulting Firm: Responsible for all operations of the firms specializing in Security (threat, vulnerability, security assessments) and associated Engineering. The clients for this turn-key operation include a major utility and several port and transportation facilities on the East Coast.
General Manager, Environmental Firm: Manager, East Coast Operations. Complete P&L responsibility for all East Coast operations, products and clients of a national environmental/risk management consulting firm.
- Opened first full-service office on the east coast.
- Personally set up all functions for a major regional office.
- Quadrupled East Coast revenues in first year of operation.
- Author of only EPA permit for open burning of explosive ordinance in the US.
Engineering/Remediation Design Manager: Division Manager. Organized and managed an experienced multi-disciplinary team of professionals to provide a comprehensive design capability to an engineering/consulting firm expanding into the waste management design market. The Division included Process, Mechanical, Electrical and Civil Engineers, as well as Designers, Estimators and Specification Writers.
- Personally computerized all CAD (Designing/Drafting) efforts.
- Completed first major design project within 120 days of start-up.
Project Officer, Field/Office Engineer and COR for numerous projects in the Washington, DC area including the construction of the U.S. Postal Service Indoor Rifle/Pistol Range in Merrifield, VA.
- All projects were completed on-schedule and at or below cost.
- Received award for exemplary performance.
Offshore Structures: Site Evaluation Project Leader, Offshore Structures Division. Identified geotechnical/geological hazards (including the arctic environment) and predicted their effects on proposed offshore steel, concrete and gravel island structures. Senior Engineering Specialist in Structure Development and Design.
- Budget Coordinator - Offshore Structures Division.
- Coordinator for single and multi-platform projects.
- State-Of-The-Art Studies to Evaluate the Marine Environment.
- Evaluator of structural concepts: North and Bering Seas.
- Familiar with every major producing area in the world.
- Authored numerous proprietary publications in design.
Construction Facilities Manager: Designed, constructed and managed a major facility including a rock-crushing quarry, asphalt plant, portland cement/lime stabilization plant, soils testing laboratory and a major construction equipment maintenance depot. The facilities group consisted of six Managers/Supervisors and about 280 personnel.
- Supervised layout, erection and utilization of the complex.
- Daily output record set by the asphalt plant.
- Personally set up the entire soils analytical testing laboratory.
- Several recognitions for outstanding performance.
Highway Construction Manager: Direct Supervisor of all operations for the design and construction and paving of 62.5 kilometers of Class E Highway including the personal design of six major bridges and 138 culvert crossings using both accepted civil codes and military specifications. The Engineer Construction Force consisted of over 1200 men. The highway was QL-1 in the Republic of Vietnam.
- Devised the Construction Plan for the entire project.
- Extensively used CPM/PERT to monitor construction progress.
Building Construction Manager: Project Officer, Field/Office Engineer and Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) for the Washington, DC Bulk Mail Center which was the prototype for 13 other Centers across the country. Acted as the direct contact in the Washington, DC area between the Office of the Chief of Engineers (OCE) and the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). Experimental mechanical equipment made up approximately 25% of the Project's costs.
- Managed and controlled up to 28 subcontractors (Union).
- Project was completed on-schedule and within expected cost.
- Received award for exemplary performance.
Executive Assistant: Served as the Executive Assistant to the Commander of Allied Land Forces, Southern Europe, a NATO 4-Star General. Senior American Officer in the NATO Command Group.
- Fluent in German, Italian and Friulian (Romanian base).
- Simultaneous Translator/Interpreter English-German-Italian.
- Knighted by the President of the Republic of Italy.
Military Commander: Served as Commanding Officer in the U.S., Europe and Vietnam.
- Awarded two Bronze Star Medals in a Combat Zone.
- Numerous other prestigious awards for service and achievement.
Colonel, U.S. Army Reserve (Ret):
- Awarded Legion of Merit.
- Vietnam Veteran holding many awards including two Bronze Stars.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army War College.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Officer Advanced Course.
- GRADUATE: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Officer Basic Course.
- Foreign Area Officer (FAO): Specialty: Western Europe.
- U.S. Department of the Army Program Manager (PM).
- Airborne (Paratrooper) qualified.
- Ranger (Black Beret) qualified.
- Schooled/Qualified: Atomic Demolitions, Bridges and Maintenance.
- Former U.S. Military Academy (USMA) Regional Commander and Liaison Officer for Admissions: Greater Philadelphia Area.
Professor of Civil Engineering and Course Director: Department of Civil Engineering, U.S. Military Academy
- Structured, revised and taught courses in Advanced Structural Analysis, and the Honors Course in Structural Analysis and Steel Design.
- Authored and taught: Soil Mechanics
- Formerly on USMA (West Point) Faculty: Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
- Formerly on Faculty: The US Army Engineer School, Fort Leonard Wood, MO.
- Doctor of Philosophy - Civil Engineering (Structures), 1978.
- University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- Master of Business Administration - Finance, 1981.
- Long Island University (C.W. Post Center) Greenvale, NY
- Master of Science - Civil Engineering (Structural Dynamics), 1972.
- University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- Bachelor of Science - Engineering, 1967.
- United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE): IL, TX, PA, MD, FL and NJ.
- Registered Professional Planner (PP): NJ.
- Formerly UST Certified: NJ Department of Environmental Protection.
- Former Member, National Society of Professional Engineers.
- Former Member, Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers.
- Former Member, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Member, The Union League of Philadelphia.
- Life Member, Society of American Military Engineers.
- Life Member, Association of Graduates, USMA, West Point.
- Life Member, West Point Society of New York.
- Life Member, Alumni Association, University of Illinois.
- Life Member, West Point Society of Philadelphia.
- President, West Point Society of Philadelphia: 1994-97, 1999-Present
- Member, Army Athletic Association (AAA).
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Southern New Jersey Development Council.